We lost our poor we Rupert, our young cat, today (8th February 2014). He was beautiful and one of the friendliest cats we have met.
As a companion animal, Rupert was a vital part of our household, as it was a constant companion for someone with a chronic long-term illness.
It is with a very heavy heart we had to say goodbye to Rupert as he was poisoned and died, we don’t know if it was accidental or deliberate, but the vet staff suspect it was due to ethylene glycol (antifreeze).
Antifreeze is toxic to all life and can kill humans as well as pets.
The poison caused total and complete renal failure. Rupert died within 48 hours, some cats can last longer but it is a cruel and uncomfortable fate.
We obtained medical assistance quickly after a sudden onset illness and he received pain medication quickly but this brings us no comfort now because we do not have our Rupert at home with us now.
It appears that poisoning by antifreeze is quite common as cats are attracted to its “sweetness”.
- If you maintain your vehicles at home please ensure all liquid products are stored correctly and that any spillage are immediately and appropriately cleaned.
- Do not just wash them down into the gutter or storm water system.
- Check under your vehicles to see if overflow of radiator liquids are on the ground and clean appropriately.
- Keep all pets away from work areas.
- If you suspect that an animal has consumed this poison, get immediate medical assistance, do not wait.
- If your pet is looking “off-colour” or is in pain, get help.
Here is a link to more information about antifreeze poisoning http://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/poisoning-toxicity/e_ct_antifreeze_poisoning
The staff at Humanimals in South Dunedin have been fantastic and their care of Rupert in his last hours was exceptional their communications with us have been sensitive and caring. Please use their services if you are in Dunedin, we highly recommend them.
Paul S Allen
If you have done this deliberately, you need to be arrested for cruelty to animals. If we find that this is the case we will have no hesitation informing the police.
Know that Karma is a bitch.
Thieves’ Alley Market Day 2014. Dunedin New Zealand.
Photos by Paul S Allen www.thewaterside.co.nz
Waitangi Day 2014, Dunedin, NZ, a set on Flickr.
A celebration of Waitangi Day in the Octagon, Dunedin, New Zealand (Aotearoa).
Photos by Paul S Allen