Things to remember about social networking sites.
Posted by Paul S Allen
The advance of social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, MySpace and the like have become very popular ways to keep in contact with the world, but there are a few things that are worth remembering.
Be careful what you talk about, no mater how private you think your conversation is the internet is a public forum. Once you have posted a comment other people can copy, forward and publish it anywhere all with reference to you.
- It is public
- Once posted it will always be there, (you may delete it but others may still have copies)
- Do not post anything that you would not want your boss, spouse, partner, friends, mother, father children, pastor or spiritual leader to see.
- There are dangerous people out there, unfortunately, so be careful with photos and personal information.
- It is not a numbers game, quality beats quantity.
- There have been people who have lost their jobs as a result of material posted on social networking sites.
- Potential employers are starting to check applicants sites to asses the character of potential new staff.
- Do not post anything you may regret tomorrow.
One more thing, ask yourself this when accepting a follower, fan or friend; Would you invite this person into you house alone or would it be acceptable or appropriate to bring this person into your home? If the answer is no, don’t invite them into your network.
It is OK to be selective, you don’t have to accept everyone, and do not be offended if people don’t accept your requests or invitations, there could be good reasons.
Enjoy the opportunities that come from social networking but take care out there.